Dr. Gavin Malcolm Spence is a Paediatric Orthopedic Surgeon with over 24 years of experience in surgical and non-surgical treatments, with a special interest in complex and rare cases. He was a consultant at two of London’s leading children’s hospitals – Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children & London Children’s Hospital, which treat a high volume of complex and difficult cases.
He has independently performed over 4000 procedures and he developed a special interest in limb reconstruction using both circular external fixation (Ilizarov method) and intramedullary limb lengthening (Precice nail).
He was the first surgeon in the United Kingdom to successfully correct severe paediatric limb deformities with the Wittenstein Fitbone limb lengthening system.
Along with clinical work, he has a strong interest in teaching, having served as a Surgical Tutor at Great Ormond Street Hospital and being named “Trainer of the Year” by the British Orthopaedic Trainees Association in 2019.
His Clinical Expertise and Treatments Includes:
- Infant Hip Dysplasia/ DDH
- Acquired Limb Deformity Reconstruction/ Lengthening
- Paediatric Trauma & Fractures
- Cerebral Palsy and other neuromuscular conditions
- Clubfoot and other complex foot deformities
- Syndromic Conditions
- External fixation
- Ilizarov frame
- Deformity correction
- Epiphyseodesis (8 plates)
- Clubfoot correction
- Hip Preservation Surgery
- Osteomyelitis (Lower Limb)
- Osteomyelitis (Upper Limb)
- Adolescent Hip Preservation
- Children’s Joint Problems
- Growth Disorders
- Paediatric Fractures
- BA (Hons) (Cambridge)
- MB, BS (London)
- FRCS – Tr & Orth (RCS Edinburgh)
- MSc – Orth (London)
- MD (Cambridge)